When you’re on a restricted diet or trying to eat well meal prep is key. It also saves so much money, and fills you up far more than anything you’re likely to grab out and about.
This isn’t really even a recipe as such – just a one of the tricks I’ve picked up! I’ve been meal-prepping for years – as an elite athlete it was very important to eat well, and even though I’m retired now old habits die hard. And it’s definitely given me lots of tips that I can use when following the low fodmap diet, as it can be very hard to find good meal options on the go!
So easy and simple…
- Take a packet of microwave rice (we’re all about timesaving here, but you can cook your own!), frozen vegetables (roasted or normal) and a protein source (see below for some ideas!). Cous cous is another option (gluten free if required!).
- Cook the rice and veggies in the microwave, and mix with your protein of choice.
- See below for some optional add-ins.
- Add any herbs and spices you want – smoked paprika goes really well if you use chicken.
- Takes about 5 minutes start to finish, and makes two meals for me. Easy peasy! Double, triple etc for a whole weeks-worth of meals!
- Tin of:
- Tuna/Salmon/Sardines/Mackerel (either plain, flavoured or in tomato sauce works well!)
- Shredded chicken
- Kidney beans, Chickpeas, Butter Beans (note none of these are low fodmap!)
- Boiled eggs
- Chopped nuts – roasted almonds is a favourite of mine!
- Avocado (beware of quantities if you’re low fodmap!)
- Cheese (beware of lactose content if you’re on the low fodmap diet!)
- Anything you can think of really!
Would anyone be interested in more meal prep posts? I’ve got a few more tips and tricks up my sleeve!